UCI Bio Sci 199 Course
Daniel Chow, MD, offers this research course each quarter at UCI.
Targeted Students: UCI undergraduates interested in learning the foundations of biomedical research with an emphasis on AI applications.
- Participate in research projects with attention to data collection, annotation, and curation
- Learn how to critically assess deep learning tools relating to healthcare, including awareness of potential biases, pitfalls, and other limitations
- Opportunity for motivated students to contribute to posters, oral presentations, and peer-review manuscript writing. Note, priority is typically given to students who have a firm grasp on the skillsets described above (Typically this opportunity is given to students who have spent at least 2+ quarters at the CAIDM)
For more information about the UCI Bio Sci 199 course, please visit https://www.bio.uci.edu/research/
CS Course 190
Dr. Peter Chang - CS 190 course offered Spring 2020
Title: Intro to Deep Learning for Medical Imaging - CompSci 190, 4 Units
Time: MW 2:00 - 3:20pm
Final: Wed., June 10, 10:30-12:30pm
The “Introduction to Deep Learning for Medical Imaging” course is aimed to provide the skillset needed to design, train and validate convolutional neural networks for various imaging applications in the healthcare setting. A primary focus will be placed on the practical aspects of algorithm creation, including use of the Tensorflow 2.0 / Keras library to train networks using various healthcare datasets. The course curriculum is comprised of a combination of didactic lectures and live Python coding sessions, as well several special guest lectures from physicians and healthcare practitioners.
Student Research Internship Program (SRIP)
Targeted Students: This program is designed for visiting undergraduate students interested in learning the foundations of biomedical AI research. We require a minimum of 3-month commitment.
- Understand the basic concepts of AI in healthcare problem solutions
- Contribute to the development of an AI solution through coding, data analysis, annotation, algorithm validation and/or background literature review
- Learn the essentials of literature review and scientific writing
- Opportunity for motivated students to contribute to posters, oral presentations, and peer-review manuscript